Many years ago I purchased an Ikea Tallboy for my bedroom. At the time this was all I could afford and I wasn’t too fussed by laminate furniture. Times have moved on and so have my tastes. However, this tallboy seems to follow me everywhere. I tried to retire it to the garage a year or so ago, but Paul was very keen to hang onto it. He loves the Swedish functionality, especially those smooth sliding drawers … so the tallboy remains. There’s only one thing I can do … it’s time for an Ikea Hack of my bedroom tallboy! Here is the before photo, this is genuine vintage Ikea, circa 2000. I considered sawing off the bottom and adding feet, but Paul talked me out of it … too much hassle! As the tallboy was made out of laminate, I started by sanding down the whole piece with medium grit sandpaper (180 grade) and applying an undercoat. I wanted to ensure that whatever paint I chose would adhere to the surface. The undercoat would act as a bond between the laminate surface and the paint. Once dry, I gave the whole piece a light sand with fine sandpaper (210 grade).
I already had a lot of black furniture in the bedroom including my bed and chest-of-drawers. So I decided to paint the tallboy a lighter colour, settling on Annie Sloan Chalk Paint (ASCP) in Duck Egg Blue.
I applied two coats of ASCP, which went on over the undercoat beautifully. I lightly sanded between each coat with fine sandpaper (210 grade). I didn’t think this piece would work “distressed”. However, some of the corners and edges chipped away during the final sanding. This added some much needed character, so I lightly distressed the corners and edges some more . I love the subtle matt finish using a clear wax gives a piece. But I wasn’t sure how using wax would work on a piece of laminate furniture. After a chat with mum and dad, we figured I would be working the wax into the chalk paint, so it should work okay as a finish. Even so, I tried it on a side corner first … just to make sure! The wax went on beautifully, buffing to a nice sheen – yeah! After applying the clear wax, I wanted to darken the colour a little more, as it was a shade too close to the colour of my bedroom curtains. So I applied dark wax, using some very fine steelwool (000) to buff as I went. I was really happy with the interest and depth of colour the dark wax give the tallboy. I also changed the knobs for some I found in the Laura Ashley mid-year sale. “I’m really pleased with how this Ikea Hack of my bedroom tallboy turned out. I thought this piece would only work with a smooth, glossy paint finish. In fact a little distressing, dark wax and the paint brush marks add interest and just a hint of character. Oh … and the drawers still glide open and close with smooth Swedish precision. Now to work on the styling… Do you have any tips for painting laminate furniture? For more ideas and inspiration, please visit my Pinterest Board https://www.pinterest.com/Honey_and_Roses/chest-of-drawers-idea-makeover/
Your Turn To Shine, Grace At Home, Shabbilicious Friday, Feathered Nest Friday, Home Sweet Home, The Painted Drawer Inspiration, The Pin Junkie, Creativity Unleashed, Foodie Friday and Everything Else, Frugal Friday, Show and Tell Friday, Think & Make Thursday, The Creative Collection, Link Party Palooza, Best DIY Projects & Recipe Party, Found & Foraged, Saturday Sparks, A Bouquet of Talent, Sunday’s At Home, Share it One More Time, Share Your Creativity, Amaze Me Monday, That DIY Party, Thrift Nifty Sunday, Something to Talk About, Metamorphosis Monday, Inspire Me Monday, Made By You Monday, Show & Share, Tweak It Tuesday, The Scoop, Tutorials and Tips, Wow Us Wednesday, Dream. Create. Inspire., Be Inspired, Work It Wednesday, Creative Inspirations, The Inspiration Gallery, Friday’s Furniture Fix, DIY Inspired, August Before and After, One Project At A Time,